Based on a survey of the 100 largest Swiss listed companies published today by Ethos, only 50% of companies disclose information on political and philanthropic spending. Few companies explain their policy with regard to donations. Only Mobimo, a real estate company, submits the global amount of donations to an advisory vote of the shareholders at the annual general meeting.
Of the 21 companies that make political donations and disclose related information, only 4 publish the amounts. For philanthropic donations, 14 of the 36 companies disclosed their donations.
In light of the risks in terms of cost and reputation of these donations, Ethos recommends that listed companies:
- Establish a policy with regard to political and philanthropic donations that includes the approval process.
- Be transparent with regard to the policy as well as the donations made in the financial year under review.
- Submit the maximum potential amounts for spending in the year for approval at the AGM.
On the occasion of the publication of this study, the association Ethos Académie is organising two public debates. Participation is free following email registration at firstname.lastname@example.org the number of participants.
- Suisse romande: Thursday 3 April, at 6:15 pm in Geneva, at the Hotel Royal Manotel, 41 rue de Lausanne, (5 mn. walk from Cornavin train station).
- Deutschschweiz: Thursday 10 April at 6 pm in Basel, Altes Warteck, Clarastrasse 59, (Tramway 2 or 10, Basel Messeplatz stop).